These 21+ Healthy Make Ahead Freezer Meals for Busy Weeknights are perfect for meal prep. Freezer-friendly meals are the best!
Freezer meals can be a life-saver after you’ve had a long day and need something quick and tasty – but let’s face it, no one likes the store-bought TV dinners that taste like cardboard. Luckily, there are plenty of healthy and delicious recipes you can meal prep and freeze for later.
I compiled some of my favourites that will reheat like new including everything from chicken marinades to meatballs, burritos and more. They’re all made with fresh ingredients instead of the preservatives you’ll find in store-bought options. I like to make a big batch of different recipes then freeze them in individual portion sizes. That way, when I’m ready to eat, all I have to do is pull a container out of the freezer and throw it in the microwave or oven.
Check out some of the best freezer meals including options for breakfast, lunch and dinner below (and my full freezer archives here) Your future self will thank you!
Watch how to make some of these recipes on YouTube!
What dinners are best to freeze?
I find that lasagna, pasta dishes, chilis, stews and broth-based soups all reheat super well. That being said, making sure that your meal freezes well is all about the storage. Freeze your food in airtight glass containers or freezer-friendly Ziploc bags and make sure there isn’t any air trapped inside to keep your food freshest the longest.
How far ahead can you make freezer meals?
Most of these meals will last in the freezer for up to three months. Anything past that and the texture and/or taste might not be the same.
I absolutely love freezing lunches – they make the work week so much easier. One of my favourite meal prep tips is to freeze any leftovers you may have for lunches to eat a few weeks from now. That way, you won't get bored of eating the same thing every day! These recipes make delicious lunches but could also be used for dinners, too.
With a well-stocked freezer, you don't need to worry about resorting to takeout when you have no energy to cook after a long day at work or school. Simply grab a meal and reheat. If your freezer is a bit bare, I recommend making a double batch of these recipes so you can eat some portions fresh and freeze the rest for later.
Slow Cooker Weekday Ragu via My Kitchen Love // Green Goddess Chickpea Burgers with Tahini Yogurt Sauce via Baked Ambrosia
BONUS: Freezer Breakfasts
Meal prepped breakfasts are a great way to start the day! These freezer-friendly breakfast recipes will make your mornings so much better. Keep your freezer stocked with a few options and you'll never be scrambling to find something to eat when you wake up.
Mini Ham and Cheese Quiche via Culinary Hill // Apple Banana Breakfast Oat Cups via The Naughty Nutritionists
Meal prep tools
- Get square glass meal prep bowls here for safe storage!
- Preserve your food (meatballs, marinated chicken, etc) with freezer bags
- I love these mini foil containers for storing pieces of lasagnas, casseroles, etc
- If you're looking to stock your freezer with grass-fed meat and poultry, look no further than Butcher Box – they're an awesome way to cut down on shopping time
- My Vitamix blender helps me make a ton of tasty sauces and soups that I usually end up freezing, and they're also great for pureeing/chopping vegetables (I freeze a ton of chopped up carrots and celery for bolognese sauce for example)
- My Rice Cooker helps me cook rice and quinoa ahead of time so that all I have to do is add what I need to certain recipes as I go
21+ Healthy Make Ahead Freezer Meals
- Ingredients of choice
- Follow the instructions of the recipe of choice linked to above.