At The Girl on Bloor, we’re committed to accessibility. It is our policy to ensure that everyone, including persons with disabilities, has full and equal access to our digital offerings.
The Girl on Bloor has invested a significant amount of resources to help ensure that this website is made easier to use and more accessible for people with disabilities, with the strong belief that every person has the right to live with dignity, equality, comfort, and independence.
The Girl on Bloor is committed to constantly improving the accessibility of this website and services in the belief that it is our collective moral obligation to allow accessible use for those with disabilities.
Despite our best efforts to make all pages and content fully accessible, some content may not yet be fully adapted to the strictest accessibility standards. This may be a result of not having found or identified the most appropriate technological solution.
This website strives to meet the following accessibility standards: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 AA, PDF/Universal Accessibility (PDF/UA) to ensure our digital offerings are ADA Compliant. We aim to do this by the end of 2022.
Here are just some of the many ways that thegirlonbloor.com is accessible and meets accessibility standards:
- Descriptive alt text is assigned to every meaningful image on our website (this will be completely updated by end of 2022)
- Our website is navigable without a mouse, by keyboard only
- We use a focus indicator to highlight interactive elements on our website
- We provide closed captioning on all videos
- We provide text transcripts for all video and audio where someone is speaking/narrating
- We ensure that all text to background color contrast meets a 4.5:1 ratio (this will be complete by spring 2022)
- All PDFs hosted on our site meet the PDF/UA minimum standards
- We include a skip navigation link on all pages of our website
- We maintain a consistent and predictable layout throughout our website
- We only integrate and link to third-party apps, scripts, and websites that meet WCAG 2.0 AA standards
- Beyond our existing remediation measures, we continually review our website to ensure we adhere to best practices in web accessibility
To ensure thegirlonbloor.com is accessible, we have taken the following steps:
- We have appointed an internal web accessibility coordinator to oversee all of our digital operations and ensure they are accessible
- We have consulted a third-party, independent web accessibility specialist to audit our digital offerings (website)
- We invite feedback from all users of our website to improve accessibility
Through our genuine and good faith commitment and devotion to accessibility, we believe we meet the digital accessibility requirements imposed by Title I, II, & III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 & 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Thegirlonbloor.com is committed to accessibility and we are always seeking to improve. If you know of a way we can improve, we’d love to hear more. You can email us at [email protected]
For more information on web accessibility and legal requirements, here are helpful resources: