These Healthy Meal Prep Lunch Ideas for Work are perfect for busy weeks! These make-ahead meal prep recipes are delicious and easy.
What's in this Post
- Healthy Lunch Meal Prep Ideas
- Benefits of Healthy Lunches
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrap & Sandwich Recipes
- Soup Recipes
- One Pan Lunch Ideas
- Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
- Low Carb Lunch Recipes
- Salad Recipes
- Bento Box Recipes
- Meal Prep Bowls & Rice Bowls
- Instant Pot Lunch Recipes
- Lunch Packing Tips
- Lunch Containers & Meal Prep Tools
Healthy Lunch Meal Prep Ideas
Whether you're working from home or headed into an office, having your lunches prepped and ready to go for the week is a great way to eat healthy and save money. When you have something delicious waiting in the fridge for you, you won't be tempted to pop out to the food court or order takeout! To help you get started, I rounded up my favourite meal prep lunch ideas. There are over 40 options, so there's something for everyone!
Benefits of healthy lunches
There are so many amazing benefits to packing a healthy lunch! Here are six reasons why you should try meal prepping healthy lunches:
- They save time
- They save money so you're not buying lunch out
- You're more organized
- You're less stressed in the morning – no wondering what to eat and when
- You're eating healthy, unprocessed food on a consistent basis
- You'll have more energy because you're eating better
Frequently Asked Questions
The best work lunch is one you're excited to eat! Any of these recipes fit the bill for being healthy and nutritious. Anything that can be eaten cold or reheated in easily in the microwave is perfect.
You can prep all your lunches for the week on Sunday. Since most of these recipes last for up to 5 days, you can easily make a big batch on Sunday, then enjoy them throughout the week.
As long as you store your food properly and safely, most of these meal prep ideas should last for the entire work week. Most protein, grains and veggies will last in airtight glass containers for up to 5 days (with the exception of seafood which will only last about 2-3 days). You can check out each blog post for more specific details on how long each meal will last.
When combined with a healthy lifestyle and fitness routine, meal prepping can help you lose weight because you're eating whole healthy foods and are less tempted to grab unhealthy takeout. It's easier to eat healthier when there's something delicious and nutritious waiting in the fridge!
While sandwiches are a lunch staple for many people, they can get boring if you're eating the same thing every day! Instead, I love packing lettuce wraps, meal prep bowls or salads. There are tons of options to choose from.
Wraps & Sandwiches
Where would we be if I didn't list some wrap and sandwich options?! Try these great wrap and sandwich ideas below that are full of delicious flavors. Looking for even more ideas? Here are the best ever sandwich recipes!
Soup Recipes for Lunch
Soups are really great options for work and are easier to transport than you think. These recipes are super filling, with vegetarian-friendly options and thicker soups and stews that will add some protein to your meal. As long as you have access to a microwave at work, you're good to go!
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
One Pan Lunch Ideas
If you're meal prepping ahead of time, these are my favourite type of healthy lunches to make! You basically throw everything on a sheet pan or in a skillet, cook, then divide into glass meal prep bowls. These one pan recipes are so versatile and customizable!
Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
Vegetarian lunch ideas are great for when you're looking to eat lunch on a budget. You'll get protein from plant-based options like quinoa, egg, beans, chickpeas or marinated tofu. Throw in a killer sauce and some delicious veggies like sweet potatoes or avocados, and you're good to go!
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
Low Carb Lunch Recipes
Low carb lunches are great options because they keep you from getting too weighted down with that midday meal. Oftentimes all you need to do is cook up a lean protein, add some veggies (raw or cooked) and season everything with the same spice blend or sauce. Plus, you end up saving time because you don't have to cook any grains. It's a win-win!
Salads are a go-to for healthy lunches, and are super customizable. Mix up the flavors by trying out different toppings and salad dressing, so you'll never get bored! Pro tip: pack your salads in mason jars with the dressing and protein on the bottom, veggies in the middle and lettuce on top, to keep everything as fresh as possible.
Healthy Bento Box Lunch Recipes
Want an easy grab-and-go lunch? These Healthy Bento Box Recipes are perfect. You can make them in minutes and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days!
Kids and adults will love these lunch box ideas:
- Meat & cheese
- Chickpea salad
- Egg & cheese
- Turkey & hummus
Meal Prep Bowls & Rice Bowl Lunches
When I really have time to prep ahead, I like to make these meal prep bowls! They're typically made up of a protein, a veggie and a starch with a yummy sauce. They're full of different flavors and are super easy to make, giving you tons of options for lunch meal prep ideas.
Instant Pot Lunches
I love making my lunches for the week in the Instant Pot. You can make all sorts of lunch-friendly recipes like rice bowls, casseroles, pastas, taco meat, etc. I personally like to make a big batch of pasta to take for work week lunches, since they cook super fast in the Instant Pot, transport well and can be easily reheated.
Lunch packing tips
- Start with making one lunch recipe a week. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you start meal prepping but I recommend just trying one quick and easy lunch recipe each week. Spending 30 minutes on a batch of lunches is not a huge time commitment upfront and will save you so much time throughout the week.
- Bring leftovers for lunch. When I'm meal planning, I always account for leftovers. Leftover sheet pan dinners, stir fries and one pot pasta dishes, in particular, make great easy lunches.
- Invest in the right containers. Ditch the brown bags and package your lunch in reusable glass containers. Using proper meal prep containers will keep your food fresh for longer.
- Consider your office. Some workplaces don't have microwaves, so cold lunch ideas are best. On the other hand, if you're working from home, you'll have the most flexibility for reheating your lunch.
Lunch Containers & Meal Prep Tools
Here are my favourite lunch containers and tools to help make meal prep quick and easy!
- Glass meal prep bowls are so great for microwaving and reheating your food safely.
- Mason jars are perfect for salads since they keep lettuce separated from dressings.
- Salad containers are another awesome option for keeping your greens and proteins separated so nothing gets soggy.
- My rice cooker saves me so much time in the meal prep process because I can cook my grains ahead of time.
- These bento box containers are perfect for packing snacks and lunches together!
- Meal prep with your freezer! Butcher Box, conveniently delivers a variety of meats to your door frozen.
- **Get my full list of tools here**
40+ Easy & Healthy Meal Prep Lunch Ideas for Work
- 16 deli turkey slices
- 2 cup mixed veggies (cucumbers, carrots, cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 4 cheese sticks
- Add ingredients to each bento box container.
- Store in the fridge until ready to eat, then enjoy!