This Crockpot Breakfast Casserole is a delicious make-ahead breakfast with hashbrowns, bacon, veggies and eggs. It’s great for the holidays!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cooking spray – you’ll need this to grease the crockpot. You could also grease it with butter.
- Frozen hashbrowns – frozen tater tots or frozen potatoes would also be good.
- Bacon – use pork bacon or turkey bacon for a healthier option. You could also swap out the bacon for sliced-up breakfast sausage or ham.
- Bell pepper – swap out for another veggie of your choice like spinach.
- Red onion – use white onion, shallots or another veggie of your choice.
- Eggs – you could try using eggs from a carton but fresh eggs are best.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Cheddar cheese – leave off the cheese or swap it out for another type of cheese like Swiss or Monterey Jack.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make breakfast casserole in a crockpot
Step 1: Make the bacon.
Cook the bacon in a large skillet.
Step 2: Layer hashbrowns, bacon, peppers and onion in crockpot.
Spray the inside of the crockpot with cooking spray, then add the frozen hashbrowns, cooked bacon, peppers and onion in two even layers.
Step 3: Add in eggs and cheese.
Pour the eggs overtop of the other layers and top with cheese.
Step 4: Cook on high for 4 hours.
Serve and enjoy!
Variations of this breakfast casserole
This crock pot breakfast casserole is easy to customize to your liking:
- Meat: Try adding in different meats like Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, ham or leftover chicken.
- Vegetarian: Leave out the meat entirely and add in some extra vegetables instead.
- Vegetables: Add in some sautéed mushrooms, spinach, green onions, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and more.
- Cheese: Switch up the cheeses with Swiss, Monterey Jack, cheddar, gouda or pepper jack.
- Egg Whites: You could even try making this casserole with egg whites – just make sure they cover the rest of the ingredients.
- Oven: If you don't have a crockpot, try this oven breakfast casserole recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Part of what I love about this slow cooker breakfast casserole is that you can make it a few days in advance. If you're celebrating something special and want to have everything cooked before guests arrive, you can have this breakfast casserole going a few days before. It will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, so it's perfect for your weekly meal prep! You can also assemble the casserole the night before cooking it – you just need to keep the crockpot in the fridge so the ingredients don't go bad.
For safety reasons, I wouldn't recommend leaving the casserole to cook in the crockpot overnight. You can add all the ingredients to the crockpot and store it in the fridge overnight, then set it to cook in the morning.
There's no need to cook the eggs before adding them to the crockpot. They'll cook alongside the other ingredients.
If you find that your breakfast casserole is dry, you've likely cooked it for too long. Make sure you're only cooking it on high for 4 hours – any longer, and it will start to dry out.
Storing and reheating
You can store this breakfast casserole in the fridge for up to 5 days. I recommend storing individual portion sizes in glass meal prep containers so that all you have to do is take one out of the fridge and reheat it for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle a little bit of water over top before reheating to ensure it doesn't dry out, and the leftovers will taste just like new!
Can you freeze breakfast casserole?
Yes! This breakfast casserole is definitely freezable after it’s been cooked. Store individual portions in glass containers with lids and freeze for up to 3 months. You can reheat it in the microwave straight from frozen. Sprinkle a bit of water over top then reheat for 6 to 7 minutes, checking on it halfway through the cooking time.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups frozen hashbrowns
- 12 slices pork or turkey bacon
- 1 each red, yellow and green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 16 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook bacon over med-high heat in a large skillet, about 5-10 minutes until cooked through (timing will depend on type of bacon used).
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray, then add frozen hashbrowns, cooked bacon, peppers and onion in two even layers. Mix salt and pepper with eggs, then pour overtop of other layers and top with cheese.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Serve and enjoy! Note: This can be made ahead of time up to 3 days in advance.
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks