This Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey Chili is the most flavourful chili that’s filled with beans, veggies and turkey, then loaded with toppings.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – or another neutral cooking oil such as avocado or grapeseed oil.
- Ground turkey – you can make this chili with ground chicken, beef or pork instead.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots would also be good.
- Celery stalks – carrots would add a bit of crunch to your chili if you’re not a fan of celery.
- Green pepper – swap out for any colour bell pepper of your choice like red or yellow pepper.
- Corn – feel free to use another kind of veggie like peas.
- Kidney beans and navy beans – great northern, black, pinto and mixed soup beans would all be yummy in this dish.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Chili powder – if you don’t have chili powder, use a combination of paprika, cumin and cayenne.
- Cumin – double up on the coriander if you don’t have any cumin.
- Paprika – cayenne is a good substitute for paprika but is a bit spicier.
- Coriander – use some more cumin instead.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Diced tomatoes – canned crushed tomatoes would also work.
- Beef broth – vegetable broth would be the best substitute for beef broth.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – swap out for another cheese of your choice like Monterey Jack.
- Scallions – garnish with green onions or red onions instead.
- Cilantro – leave this off altogether if you’re not a fan of cilantro.
- Tortilla chips – tortilla strips would also add a bit of crunch to your chili.
- Sour cream – non-fat sour cream is a healthier option.
- Sliced jalapeno peppers – swap out for some poblanos instead.
- Sliced avocado – leave this off if you’re not a fan of avocado.
How to make turkey chili in the slow cooker
- Prep your ingredients.
- Sauté the ground turkey
- Add everything but the toppings to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Assemble your toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to add extra flavour to your chili
You can change up the spices in this chili for a unique flavour! Make it more or less spicy or give it a totally different taste.
Try any of these suggestions for a flavour burst in your slow cooker turkey chili:
- Cocoa powder or unsweetened chocolate
- Brewed espresso or black coffee
- Smoky paprika
- Sweet potato
- Balsamic vinegar
Frequently Asked Questions
Turkey chili is typically made of ground turkey, beans, tomatoes, veggies and a variety of spices including chili powder, cumin, paprika and coriander.
For this recipe, you’ll need to sauté the ground turkey until it’s lightly browned before adding it to the crockpot. You shouldn’t add the turkey to the crockpot raw or it won’t cook properly.
This turkey chili will provide you with plenty of protein and vegetables, but that doesn’t mean you have to use it as your complete meal. If you’re looking for side dish ideas, turkey chili goes well with corn bread, white or brown rice, onion rings or a side salad.
Storing and reheating
This turkey chili is a great meal prep recipe. You can make a big batch on the weekend then store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just reheat it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or bring it to a simmer in a pot on the stovetop.
Can you freeze turkey chili?
Yes! Turkey chili will last in the freezer for up to 3 months in freezer-safe glass containers or Ziploc bags. When you’re ready to enjoy, you can let it defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat or reheat from frozen in the microwave for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
More healthy slow cooker recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on refrigerating the leftovers.
- I get all my free-range ground chicken and turkey from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Use these Ziploc bag holders if you're freezing the leftover chili in Ziploc bags.
- You can also freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 2 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 796 ml diced tomatoes
- 2 cup beef broth
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Scallions, sliced
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Sliced avocado
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat. Add ground turkey, seasoning generously with salt & pepper, and saute for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add turkey to Crockpot along with the rest of ingredients (minus the toppings). Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Serve chili in large bowls, then add toppings of choice. Serve and enjoy!
- STORAGE: Chili will last in fridge up to 5 days, and can be reheated in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. It can also be frozen up to 3 months in glass bowls. Reheat from frozen for 6-7 minutes, stirring halfway through.