These Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Wraps are a delicious and easy lunch idea – pack them bento box style for your work week or school lunches!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breasts – you could also use chicken thighs but they have a higher calorie count.
- Buffalo wing sauce – use any store-bought variety you prefer – I like the Frank’s Red Hot version.
- Tortillas – you could also use lettuce wraps for a low-carb option.
- Romaine lettuce – iceberg or bib lettuce are good substitutes here.
- Crumbled blue cheese – or any crumbled cheese of your choice like goat or feta cheese.
- Cucumber – celery or bell peppers would also be good in these wraps.
- Red onion – yellow or white onions would work but have a milder flavour.
How to make buffalo chicken wraps
- Cook the chicken.
- Shred with a knife and fork.
- Toss the shredded chicken with buffalo sauce.
- Assemble your wraps.
- Store in glass meal prep bowls and enjoy!
This is the trickiest part of any wrap recipe – keeping it from going soggy! Here are some tips and tricks to keeping your wraps fresh:
- Layer the wet ingredients inside, and the dry ingredients like lettuce on the outside.
- Pack the ingredients separately to make your wrap fresh on the go.
- Avoid soggy veggies like cucumber, tomatoes and banana peppers.
- Avoid additional dressings.
Frequently Asked Questions
The combinations are pretty much endless when it comes to these buffalo chicken wraps. Like all my other recipes, just add in whatever veggies you have lying around in the fridge and then add some protein. Some of my favourite filling ideas are crumbled blue cheese, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, red onion, ranch dressing, cucumber, avocado, banana peppers, bell peppers and celery.
This buffalo chicken wrap has 437 calories and is the perfect healthy lunch option. Plus, it’s made with real chicken unlike a lot of store-bought and restaurant versions which use processed food. If you want to make the wrap healthier, you could skip the cheese, load up on veggies and use whole-grain tortillas or lettuce wraps instead of flour tortillas.
Yes! If you’re looking for a low-carb meal option, swap out the flour tortillas for lettuce wraps. I find that iceberg, bibb and Boston lettuce hold filling the best but you can use the lettuce of your choice. Make sure you assemble them fresh, or the lettuce will get soggy.
These wraps are super filling on their own, but I like serving them with some cut-up veggies for a well-rounded meal. They'd also be good with a nice soup or salad!
Storing and reheating
Let's face it, wraps don't last a TON of time in the fridge but they should last up to 3 days if you pack them properly. After you have rolled your wrap simply cut into thirds then add two-thirds or all of the wrap into your glass meal prep bowls. Add in your veggies then you're good to go!
You can always make the ingredients separately and make your wraps fresh the day of – you'll likely get another 1-2 days out of them if you do this.
Freezing the chicken
While you can't freeze the wraps, you can freeze the cooked chicken. Store it in airtight glass containers and freeze for up to three months. When you're ready to eat, let the chicken thaw in the fridge overnight before warming it up in the microwave. I recommend sprinkling a bit of water over top to make sure the chicken doesn't dry out.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More buffalo chicken recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries
- Buffalo Chicken Salsa Dip Snack Jars
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Get these square glass meal prep containers here.
- I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through.
Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Wraps
- 2 cups water `
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb medium-sized chicken breasts
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- Carrots, celery & ranch dip as optional sides
- Add water, salt and chicken to Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure 5 minutes – Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to preheat, then the 5 minutes to cook. Do a quick release of the pressure, then remove breasts and shred chicken with a fork and knife. Alternatively, bring a large pot of water to a boil, then cook chicken for 15-18 minutes until cooked through. Shred chicken with a fork and knife.
- Add chicken back to the pot (make sure you have dumped the water) and toss with buffalo sauce. Add romaine lettuce, buffalo chicken, blue cheese, cucumber and red onion to each wrap, being careful not to overfill them.
- Cut them into thirds, then place wraps into glass meal prep bowls. Serve with carrots, celery and dip of your choice – wraps will keep in fridge up to 3 days.